Quick Peas Pulao2014-11-16
- Servings : 4-5
- Prep Time : 5m
- Cook Time : 25m
- Ready In : 30m
Making rice, with some vegetables thrown in is really the simplest of tasks. The results will be better than any takeway you order. Follow this recipe and you’ll have the yummiest of rice dishes.
I made this recipe in my new Multicooker that promises to replace the hob and the oven, so I’m busy experimenting.
This recipe can also be made in the microwave or on the hob.
- Basmati Rice- 1 cup
- Peas- 1 cup
- Onions, chopped- 1/2 cip
- Bayleaves- 2
- Cloves- 2-3
- Cardamom- 2-3
- Cinnamon- 1 inch
- Ghee- 2 tsp
- Garam masala- 1/4 tsp
- Salt- to taste
- Hot water- 2 1/4 cups
- Red chilli, dry- optional
Wash the rice in a bowl till the water runs clean.
I made this recipe in my multicooker. Set it to fry- by default the time is 7 minutes.
Add ghee. When it starts melting, add in the whole spices- bayleaves, cardamom, cinnamon & cloves
In a minute or so, they start to swell up. Add in the chopped onions. Saute for 1 minute.
Add in the washed rice. Stir and leave for 2 minutes.
If using frozen peas, microwave them for 1 1/2 - 2 minutes before use. Add them into the rice.
Add in the hot water. It is a good idea to add in hot water into the rice since everything in the cooker is hot. If you add cold water, the rice tends to break. By adding hot water, you keep the temperature intact.
Add in the salt and garam masala. If you like you could add another tsp of ghee for enhanced flavour.
Set the multicooker to cook function which is 25 minutes by default.
The cooker switches itself to keep warm mode when done and you can enjoy your food
If you are making it the conventional way, on the hob, then follow these steps.
1. Heat oil in a wok. When hot, add in the whole spice.
2. Now follow all the steps from Step 1-8 from above.
3. Let boil, then put on lower the gas, cover and let cook for 14 minutes.
4. Serve hot.
If you are making it in the microwave, then follow these steps.
1. In a large microwaveable bowl, add the washed rice, salt, peas, garam masala and whole spices.
2. Add in the hot water, salt and a teaspoonful of ghee.
3. Cook for 10 minutes without a cover and then put a lid and cover for 3-4 minutes. This time depends on the power of your microwave, but the rice should get cooked in most microwaves in this time. You will know that the rice is cooked if it is slightly standing up rather than lying flat.
You might also like:
Get your own here!