Pumpkin Halwa with Coconut Milk- a sweet delicacy2014-11-15
- Prep Time : 10m
- Cook Time : 60m
- Ready In : 1:10 h
I’ve always loved desserts- whether it is the sugarladen laddu or the quintessential pie; desserts- I love them all.
I have recently acquired a new multicooker, so to inaugurate it, I thought that a sweet dish is in order.
I had loads of pumpkins and butternut squash at home and so I happily decided to turn it into this halwa (Indian dessert), and surprisingly, my fussy little fellow decided that he loves it as well.
Do try it, it is absolutely delicious!
- Red Pumpkin/ Butternut squash - 3 cups (grated)
- Brown Sugar - 1/2 cup
- Cashewnuts - 1 tablespoon (optional)
- Raisins- 1 tbsp (optional)
- Cardamom powder/Elachi- 1/4 teaspoon
- Ghee (clarified butter) - 2 + 1 tablespoon
- Coconut milk - 400 ml
- Condensed milk- 1/4 cup
Grate the pumpkin on the thick side of the grater. Keep aside.
Set it on Fry mode. Put 3-4 tbsp ghee into the Multicooker bowl. Add the grated pumpkin/ butternut squash and cook for 15 minutes on stew mode. In this time, the pumpkin will soften.
In another pan, fry the cashewnuts and raisins, if using, in a teaspoonful of ghee.
Add 400 ml (1 tin) of coconut milk into the multicooker. Add 1/2 cup sugar and 1 tsp cardamom powder. Let thicken. Remember to open the lid and stir once in a while.
Add in sugar and condensed milk. Add Cardamom powder and mix well.
Open the lid now and keep on stew mode. Keep stirring once in a while. Add in the fried cashewnuts and raisins. When all the liquid had been absorbed, switch off.
Cool and serve.
For making this in the conventional way on the hob
1. Pressure cook the grated pumpkin, by switching off the cooker after the first whistle. Keep aside.
2. In a large wok, fry the cashew nuts and raisins and keep aside.
3. In the same wok, melt the ghee.Add the grated pumpkin and fry for about 10 minutes till fragrant.
4. Add 400 ml (1 tin) of coconut milk into the multicooker. Add 1/2 cup sugar and 1 tsp cardamom powder. Let thicken. Keep stirring to prevent it from catching at the bottom. This would take about 15-20 minutes.
5. When slightly thick, add in the sugar and condensed milk. Keep stirring and cook on low heat till thick.
Add in the fried cashewnuts and raisins.
Serve either hot or cold with puris or just by itself.
You might also like:
Why not get yourself a multicooker for hasslefree cooking? It’s easily available on Amazon!