Kobichi Vadi or Spicy Cabbage Fritter2013-09-13
- Servings : 6-7
- Prep Time : 10m
- Cook Time : 10m
- Ready In : 25m
This is a very typical Maharashtrian offering, which is first steamed and then lightly fried. Many kinds of vegetables are used in this kind of cooking, the most popular being coriander (kothimbir vadi) and cabbage (kobichi vadi). It is a very easy way to spice up a meal.
Cabbage- 1 small- 2 cups minced
Besan- 1 cup
Sesame seeds ( til )- 2 tbsp
Chilli powder- 1 tsp
Turmeric- 1/4 tsp
Garam masala- 1/2 tsp
Green chilli- 1
Coriander leaves- 1/4 cup chopped
Ginger, grated- 2 tsp
Salt- to taste
Oil- 1 tsp to ad in the mixture
Oil- to fry
1. Mince the cabbage finely in the food processor. If you don’t have a food processor, chop it very fine.
2. Add in all the other ingredients one by one, except the sesame seeds and coriander and mix well.
3. Roast the sesame( til) seeds till golden brown and finely chop the coriander leaves.
4. Get the mixture out in a big bowl and add in the sesame seeds and the coriander.
5. Mix well either in the food processor or in a big bowl by hand.
Knead lightly to mix well. Remember not to leave it standing for a long time as the cabbage will keep leaving water.
Also, do not be tempted to add any water to the mixture, as specially if made in the food processor, I find the mixture quite wet.
6. Traditionally, the dough is now shaped into logs and then steamed in a pressure cooker without the vent, but if you are in a hurry like me, go ahead and use the microwave. Either flatten it out in a pre-greased plate and microwave covered, or then shape like logs anyway and microwave for 8-10 minutes.
7. One way to figure out that the mixture has cooked is by looking at the sides, where you will find a distinct gap, where the cabbage mixture has shrunk.
8. When cool, cut into discs ( if log shaped) or squares ( if flat steamed).
8. Heat oil in a pan. When hot, fry the vadi on both sides till golden brown and serve hot.
Serve hot either as a snack or alongwith a meal.
This is a wonderful way to get the 5-a-day into those kids.